Friday, December 09, 2005

Mr. Broschart Responds

The Middle Road
By Rich Kohler
November 10, 2005

Last month, I wrote a letter to the editor of another newspaper criticizing its lax coverage of interim Committeeman Scott Broschart’s decision to withdraw his candidacy for an open seat on the Hazlet Township Committee. This month, Committeeman Broschart signed his name to a written response. In the interest of open debate and at the risk of being redundant, I dedicate this column to both sides of the issue.

“Mr. Kohler makes false accusations in his letter, such as his claim that Deputy Mayor Tracey Maffiore and Committeewoman Bridget Antonucci ‘assisted in helping to undermine the customary selection process,’ making reference to the appointment of myself to the Township Committee to fill Paul Coughlin’s seat.”

I did not make false accusations. I drew a logical conclusion from the events that had taken place.

“The county committee, which Rich Kohler is not a member of, selects three potential candidates to fill the vacancy.”

I never claimed to be a member of this committee. It is important to note, however, that since a fourth contender inexplicably withdrew his name at the last minute, no one on the county committee voted for Mr. Broschart.

“Those three names are turned over to the mayor and Township Committee to select one. This vote is confidential, so neither I nor Rich Kohler knows, or should know, how the committee voted. Since I was appointed to be on the committee, one must make the assumption that the majority, if not all, of the Township Committee selected me.”

Mr. Broschart can make whatever assumption he chooses, that’s why letters to the editor appear in a newspaper’s opinion pages. Nonetheless, I stand by my opinion of how he came to be a member of Hazlet’s Township Committee.

“Another false statement Mr. Kohler makes reference to is my résumé and the campaign I ran for both Michael Sachs and Bridget Antonucci. As I have stated, the money listed on my résumé reflects not just the campaign funds, but funds I have raised over a period of time for the Hazlet Republican Club and Executive Committee.”

Again, Mr. Broschart can make any statement he chooses, but the facts remain. Mr. Broschart’s résumé states that in his capacity as manager of the Hazlet Republican Campaign Committee, he “raised over $40,000 in contributions”. The reports filed with ELEC say otherwise. Should I believe Mr. Broschart’s letter to the editor, his resume, or the ELEC reports?

“Mr. Kohler, please, if you are going to dress up and play reporter, please play correctly. Instead of spreading false accusations about me, call and confirm facts before reporting on them so you don’t mislead readers.”

I am not a reporter, nor do I aspire to be one. I have written persuasive essays and the editorial staff at The Courier has seen fit to publish them as editorial columns. I did call and confirm the facts I cited in my columns...I just didn’t call Mr. Broschart.

“My decision to resign as the Republican candidate this year was due solely to a career change, which Mr. Kohler would have no knowledge of .”

Nor, would I have knowledge of Mr. Broschart’s present career. His resume lists a temporary job with the unsuccessful gubernatorial campaign of John Murphy and a job with State Senator Joe Kyrillos that lasted less than three months.

“I, unlike Mr. Kohler, have dedicated my time and energy to serve my town, not just stand on the sidelines and attempt to write about it.”

Writing an editorial column takes time and energy, and so does running a business well enough to support my family. I serve my community by paying attention to the actions of people acting on behalf of its multi-million dollar, tax revenue-financed budget. I also dedicate some of my time and energy to helping the library on behalf of the township. Many residents, as I do, spend most of their time and energy earning an income so they can live with their family in a decent community. Furthermore, I respect the great level of time and energy it takes to serve effectively and responsibly in elected office, and I vociferously support those who rise to the challenge.

“Since June, Mr. Kohler has openly attacked me and my family.”

I have criticized Mr. Broschart’s appointment to the Township Committee. I have criticized his manipulation of the selection process for his subsequent and brief candidacy. I have even criticized his decision to pass out campaign-related balloons along the 2004 Hazlet Day parade route. I have not “attacked” Mr. Broschart. I have not even mentioned his family.

“He has tried to convince people that I do not respect the office that I hold, but it is for that reason alone that I do not return his personal attacks.”

Since Mr. Broschart recently called me “a dirt-bag” in the parking lot of the Lakeside Manor, perhaps he has difficulty discerning between public opinion and a personal attack.

“Mr. Kohler, be forewarned that when my term ends next month, I will happily engage you in any public forum.”

Is this a threat or an invitation? Aren’t newspaper op/ed pages, community clubs, and committee meetings, public forums? What does Mr. Broschart propose: a push fight behind Middle Road Elementary School?

“Mr. Kohler is merely a salesman…”

This comment is rather condescending for someone who has yet to hold a steady job. Or at least, one that Mr. Broschart deems worthy of mentioning on his résumé.

“…trying to sell his poison to the public.”

My opinions do seem somewhat toxic to self-serving politicians, but they are not for sale.

“Good riddance to bad reporting.”

I would rather help rid our community of politicians who attempt to silence his or her critics by claiming that the pertinent facts are confidential.

6 Comments:

Blogger Honest Abe said...

I have never met Mr. Broschart, but what I found to be of great concern was the involvement of Mr. Niemann in his selection, undermining the local Chairman, Steve Grossmann. Chairman Grossmann's reputation is that of a hard worker, not a narcissistic power broker. It was just wrong for Niemann to interfere with a good organization that was working. I believe the whole fiasco cost Hazlet 2 committee seats which, once Coughlin was out of the picture, should have remained Republican.
The worst thing for Hazlet is to have the "Airport Plaza crowd" of retreads get back in power. Best of luck in '06.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Rich Kohler said...

Thanks Abe,

No name calling, please. I've had enough of that!

Steve is a good guy, and a rare breed. He really has no other motive or personal agenda to achieve power. I believe he just wants to see the most qualified person run for office.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Downtowner said...

I have met Mr. Broschart and know Mr. Kohler very well. I have to say that I have great respect for Rich Kohler and his commitment to Hazlet. And, as I try and stay in the positive where possible, I will not comment about any opinion I have formed about Mr. Broschart. Suffice it to say it is not in as high an esteem as I have for Mr. Kohler.

I publish the "newspaper to be named later" that Mr. Kohler writes in and find him to be very level and fair about his comments regarding public projects and office holders, generally speaking. I may not share the same opinions at all times as Mr. Kohler but isn't that what America is supposed to be all about?

I do agree with Honest Abe, that Chairman Niemann lost the election in Hazlet. But, I will say that I think that Kevin Lavan and Jim DiNardo are very well qualified people. That is not to say that I believe that Mr. Medrow or Mr. Kallibos would have been bad choices for office. I know Mr. Medrow a little better than Mr. Kallibos, and I don't have anything negative to say about Ric. He is dedicated, works hard and is a good family man who pays his taxes. What is there "bad" to say? But, I don't think that things worked out poorly for the township.

As for Mr. Broschart, I think he has great promise...but should get a job, buy a house and have a little more maturity before he aspires to higher office.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Honest Abe said...

Rich,

I will second your evaluation of Mr. Grossmann.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Downtowner said...

Has anyone ever noticed that Rich and Green Lantern are never at the same place at the same time?

3:20 PM  
Blogger Rich Kohler said...

I always pictured myself as a Silver Surfer type.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home