Sunday, September 11, 2005

I Am A Republican 9/2/04

The Middle Road
By Rich Kohler
September 2, 2004

“At a point in every person’s life, one has to look deeply into the mirror of one’s soul and decide one’s unique truth in this world, not as we may want to see it or hope to see it, but as it is”.

Those were the poignant words, with which Governor James McGreevey framed his decision to resign from office. Immediately following, market news media began its supportive analysis of Mr. McGreevey's “courageous” announcement.

Governor McGreevey’s sexual orientation does not excuse his abuse of the power entrusted to him by the people of New Jersey. Illegal campaign contributions, falsification of public records, misappropriation of taxpayer dollars, and other outrageous scandals continue to plague his administration.

His announcement to remain in office until mid-November further alienated voters, which reminded me of Frank Lautenberg’s replacement of convicted Senator Robert Torricelli and Al Gore’s refusal to accept defeat in Florida.

Governor McGreevey’s speech inspired me to consider my experience with the local political organizations.

In my non-political term as president of the Hazlet Township Library Committee, I endured personal attacks in the media from Hazlet’s Democrat officials. The local Republican organization steadily worked to study and resolve Hazlet’s issue with the county library branch on township property.

For the past two years, each political party has consistently approached the issues challenging the quality of life in Hazlet as described above: negative vs. positive. I began to realize this difference was not just the character of our local political climate.

As I thought about Governor McGreevey’s landmark speech, I became aware of my own “unique truth”.

And so…I am a Republican American.

The you-must-be-demented-if-you-disagree attitude of many Hazlet Democrats, the still developing scandals of the McGreevey administration, and the insultingly patronizing rhetoric inherent in the speeches of prominent Democrats like senators John Kerry, Hilary Clinton and John Corzine, influenced my decision to take an official stand.

Like Governor McGreevey’s declaration, my announcement might not come as a surprise to some of you.

I have made no efforts to conceal my appreciation for the thousands of brave Americans serving overseas, and for President George W. Bush’s courage to take action against terrorism, instead of taking polls in the manner of his predecessor, President William J. Clinton.

President Bush deserves more than my vote; he deserves my commitment to the values his political party strives to preserve.

Senator Kerry does not acknowledge the historic and extraordinary achievements of the U.S. military forces, civilian organizations, and international corporations in Iraq, Afghanistan, and around the world. Senator Kerry has already changed his position more than once regarding the war on terror and Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Our military forces continue to liberate millions of oppressed people and improve global security. If Senator Kerry wins the presidency, I shudder to think of our soldiers’ fate under the command of a man who has denounced their mission throughout his campaign.

I am proud to openly criticize politicians who mire in self-interests and hypocrisy. Democratic ideology attempts to secure a voting base through the persecution of those who have achieved success and the promise of entitlements (as opposed to opportunity) to those who are struggling.

I am proud to officially be part of the Grand Old Party.

I will not regret my decision to publicly acknowledge my unique truth by putting an “R” next to my name on the voting rosters, because when the curtain closes on the voting booth, I am still free to cast my vote for whomever I feel will best serve the interests of my town, county, state and nation.

Governor McGreevey’s unique truth is less political than mine is, but it is just as liberating. The truth is like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home